A lot of couples I counsel reach out to me because they plan on getting married, and they have decided to engage in premarital counseling as a form of couple’s therapy. This is such a wonderful step to take before you embark on one of the most important decisions of your life. Things we would cover in marriage counseling would be like:
- What do you want your marriage to be like?
- What are your financial priorities?
- Have you discussed your ideas about parenting?
- How are your relationships with your future in-laws? What boundaries do see putting in place with them?
- How do your individual backgrounds influence your ideas about marriage?
- Do you know how to argue properly? Do you know how to make up?