When people refer to “self-care,” they often think of scheduling a spa day or something leisurely. While a spa day can help support your mental health, there is much more to the practice.
Self-care means taking care of yourself emotionally, mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually so that you are at peace and in total alignment with yourself.
How Can Self-Care Help Me In Cultivating Balanced Mental Health?
Attending to your needs through taking good care of yourself allows you to bring your best self to your relationships, commitments, work, and anywhere else in your life.
Self-care has been proven to:
- Lower cortisol levels
- Help you establish happier relationships
- Give you better sleep
- Improve immune response
- Increase your self-esteem
- Improve productivity
- Bring about positive health outcomes
- Encourage more positive thinking
- Lower likelihood of depression and anxiety
What Are The Three Main Types Of Self-Care?
The three core types of self-care:
- Physical self-care focuses on your physical health and well-being, ensuring you get enough sleep, eat nutritious meals, and exercise. We hold a lot of tension and stress in our bodies unknowingly, so it’s essential to find ways to relax your body and release that stress.
- Mental & Emotional self-care places your mind and feelings at the top of your priorities. Take time to pay attention to how you feel, make sure you care for your emotional health, and select times to step away from situations that drain your energy. Give yourself permission to end a commitment or say no. It’s vital that you know what your personal boundaries are to care for your mental and emotional health properly.
- Spiritual self-care centers on your faith. If you have a religious practice, this includes connecting with what you believe and spending time cultivating your spiritual connections and values. Meditation, journaling, or participating in other spiritual practices can help you align your mind, body, and spirit.
I’m John Nichols, and I’m here to help you establish a self-care plan that empowers you to take the best possible care of yourself as well as walk beside you as you navigate life’s challenges. Learn more here about how therapy works and what to expect.
The truth is every one of us is dealing with something. Bravery comes in recognizing what that something is, and healing comes in asking for help. That’s what I’m here for; book your Free Consultation today!